PLS Dispatch Pro
2021 Lesson 10: Man with Gun and Knife Threatening Suicide
This is a one-hour training helps prepare 9-1-1 dispatchers to handle a caller who reports he is suicidal and armed. In this lesson, the caller reports that he has antisocial personality disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder, he has a gun and a knife on him, and he is walking down a street towards a high school stadium. The lesson addresses:
- Being direct when speaking to a suicidal caller.
- Avoiding putting a suicidal person on hold.
- Carefully selecting words when speaking with a suicidal caller.
- Using a caller’s name to build rapport.
- Keeping a caller talking.
- Noticing red flags.
- Using active listening techniques.
- Obtaining descriptions and locations of weapons.
- Determining if the caller intends to harm himself or others.
- Suicide by cop.
- Effectively using “action with reason” statements to obtain a caller’s voluntary compliance.