PLS Dispatch Pro
2021 Lesson 12: Abandoned Newborn Discovered and Man Fell from Ladder
This one-hour training helps prepare dispatchers to handle 9-1-1 calls involving abandoned newborns and people who have fallen from ladders. In the first section, a grocery store employee finds an abandoned newborn baby in a shopping cart. The section addresses:
- Risks involved with providing callers information and asking them to confirm the information.
- Obtaining direct callback information.
- Transferring calls.
- Obtaining information from other witnesses.
- Scene safety.
- Safe Baby Haven laws.
- Avoiding gaps of silence.
In the second section, a child caller reports that his father fell off a ladder and is nonresponsive. The section addresses:
- Salutation best practices.
- Adjusting questioning techniques for child callers.
- Why giving a caller information before asking them to provide it is discouraged.
- Using open-ended questions rather than closed-ended questions.
- Informing callers when a gap of silence is necessary.
- Obtaining a caller’s acknowledgement of a direction or instruction.
- Avoiding stacked questions.