PLS Dispatch Pro
2021 Lesson 7: Implicit Bias
This 9-1-1 dispatcher training course:
- Defines “implicit bias.”
- Explains how implicit bias can exist in everyone, including members of the public, dispatchers/call-takers, and individual law enforcement officers, and is not a personal defect.
- Addresses how the brain can produce biased decision-making, even when one does not intend to be biased.
- Examines the concept of “profiling by proxy.”
- Addresses how bias-motivated calls can pit the police against the public in potentially dangerous confrontations.
- Considers how implicit bias could affect the perceptions of witnesses and callers.