PLS Dispatch Pro
2021 Lesson 9: Preschool on Lockdown and Physical Domestic
This one-hour training helps prepare 9-1-1 dispatchers to handle calls involving a preschool on lockdown and a psychical domestic incident. In the first section, a caller reports that a man just took a rifle out of his car in the parking lot of a preschool and then walked to a nearby house. The section addresses:
- Visualizing the scene and gathering scene details (landmarks, businesses, parks, etc.) for callers who have difficulty with cardinal directions (N, S, E, W).
- Determining the jurisdiction and discipline being requested (LE/Fire/EMS) when the PSAP answers calls and dispatchers for multiple agencies.
- Addressing caller, law enforcement, and scene safety.
- Obtaining direct callback numbers when a call has been routed through a Centrex telephone system (or something similar).
- Obtaining lockdown policy information.
- Following the recommended questioning guidelines.
In the second section, a caller at an apartment complex repots hearing a woman screaming for help and saying that she can’t breathe. The emergency results in an officer-involved shooting. This section addresses:
- Determining precise location information in an apartment complex.
- The risks of domestic violence incidents for responders.
- Controlling the interview to obtain necessary information.
- Addressing caller safety.
- Establishing rapport with distressed callers.