PLS Dispatch Pro
2022 Lesson 2: Assault Inside Hotel Room and Suicide by Gunshot
This one-hour training helps prepare 9-1-1 dispatchers for calls involving assaults in hotel rooms and suicides by gunshot. In the first section, a caller reports a woman screaming for help from a hotel room. The section addresses:
- Establishing if the number a caller provides is their cell phone or a business line.
- Helping callers identify the address of the emergency when the caller is unfamiliar with it.
- Using minimal encouragers (uh-huh, okay, etc.).
- Avoiding public safety “jargon” when speaking to a caller.
- Hotel security and law enforcement needs.
In the second section, a caller reports that a person just shot himself in the head while sitting in a truck outside. The section addresses:
- Why asking a caller to select police, fire, or EMS can be problematic.
- Making sure a caller understands what is happening before transferring a caller.
- Liability for delaying life-saving support.
- Using Geographical Information System (GIS) data and/or mapping applications.