Dispatch Pro Lesson Summaries
2023 Dispatch Pro Lesson 3
This one-hour online training will walk the taker through each of the major components of call taking while breaking down and analyzing a real 9-1-1 call. The lesson will challenge the taker to think critically while providing tips and techniques to enhance their skillset. In addition, it will provide the background and resolution of the incident as well as links to additional resources to expand the taker’s knowledgebase. This lesson consists of the following 9-1-1 calls:
Call 1: A caller is reporting that he just watched his girlfriend get kidnapped from in front of his house.
1. Establishing accurate timelines.
2. Obtaining detailed descriptions.
3. Maintaining control of the interview.
4. Conveying compassion and keeping the caller engaged.
5. Gathering weapon information.
Learning Point: Using Technology to Locate a Caller
Call 2: An off-duty Sheriff's Lieutenant shot a man after the subject jumped on his truck and broke his windshield.
1. Listening to background conversations.
2. Obtaining weapon information.
3. Determining the exact location.
4. Handling officer involved incidents.
5. Addressing caller safety.
Learning Point: Stand Your Ground
1. What a Bullet Does to a Human Body.
2. Dispelling the Myth of Violence and Mental Illness.
3. Coping In the Aftermath of a Shooting.