Dispatch Pro Lesson Summaries
2023 Dispatch Pro Lesson 5
This one-hour online training will walk the taker through each of the major components of call taking while breaking down and analyzing a real 9-1-1 call. The lesson will challenge the taker to think critically while providing tips and techniques to enhance their skillset. In addition, it will provide the background and resolution of the incident as well as links to additional resources to expand the taker’s knowledgebase. This lesson consists of the following 9-1-1 calls:
Call 1: A caller reporting that a woman was being chased by a bear.
1. Obtaining address information.
2. Gathering weapon details.
3. Following the standard questioning format.
4. Preventing gaps in the interview.
5. Anticipating a change in circumstances.
Learning Point: Bears and Humans – Coexisting in a Crowded World.
Call 2: A caller reporting that her friend killed his girlfriend and wants her to meet him at a lake to dispose of the body.
1. Ways to obtain an address.
2. Addressing caller safety.
3. Avoiding tunnel vision.
4. Gathering complete descriptions.
5. Providing assurances early and often.
Learning Point: Obtaining Locations from Mapping Applications.
1. Strangulation Injury - Emergency Management.
2. The Dangers of Strangulation
3. Initial Management of Trauma in Adults.