Dispatch Pro Lesson Summaries
2023 Lesson 1: Combative Trespasser in Caller's Yard; Daughter Finds 82-Year-Old Mother Dead
This one-hour online training will walk the taker through each of the major components of call taking while breaking down and analyzing a real 9-1-1 call. The lesson will challenge the taker to think critically while providing tips and techniques to enhance their skillset. In addition, it will provide the background and resolution of the incident as well as links to additional resources to expand the taker’s knowledgebase. This lesson consists of the following 9-1-1 calls:
Call 1: A caller thinks her mother has been murdered after finding her covered in blood.
1. Addressing caller and scene safety.
2. Identifying all involved parties.
3. Establishing timelines.
4. Controlling the interview.
5. Obtaining exact locations.
Learning Point: Calming Techniques.
Call 2: A caller is reporting an unwanted person at his house.
1. Clarifying vague information.
2. Remaining on the line until officers arrive.
3. Tone and demeanor.
4. Addressing caller and scene safety.
5. Providing instructions promptly.
Learning Point: Tactical Thinking and Identifying Verbal Clues.
1. How to Control Anger: 25 Tips to Help You Stay Calm.
2. The Role of Emotion in Predicting Violence.
3. How Your Brain Copes with Grief, and Why It Takes Time to Heal.