Jail Pro Lesson Summaries
2021 Lesson 10: Caselaw Update
This lesson provides legal training for jailers and correctional officers through an analysis of three Target Cases answering the following questions:
- What constitutes an unconstitutional strip search upon which a county can be held liable for money damages?
- Why is it always a bad idea to have sex with an inmate?
- What rights does an inmate have against being sexually assaulted by a jailer?
- Do inmates of county jails have a right to vote while incarcerated?
- Are jail officials responsible for helping inmates who have requested their assistance in obtaining an absentee ballot?
- Are jail officials who prevent jail inmates from exercising their right to vote shielded from liability under the doctrine of qualified immunity?