Iowa Legal Update Lesson Summaries
2023 Lesson 6: Caselaw Update
This lesson provides guidance for law enforcement officers on the following topics:
• What must officers do to comply with Iowa’s knock and announce statute?
• When does the community caretaking exception to the warrant requirement apply to a traffic stop?
• Is a traffic stop unlawful when an officer believes a driver has committed a traffic violation, but the officer is mistaken?
• What facts provide reasonable suspicion to justify a vehicle stop?
• What circumstances justify a police officer’s warrantless seizure of a suspect’s cell phone?