Dispatch Pro Lesson Summaries
2023 Lesson 10: Man Says He Wants to Kill Wife; Caller Reports Shots Fired in His Home - Parents Hit
This one-hour online training will walk the taker through each of the major components of call taking while breaking down and analyzing a real 9-1-1 call. The lesson will challenge the taker to think critically while providing tips and techniques to enhance their skillset. In addition, it will provide the background and resolution of the incident as well as links to additional resources to expand the taker’s knowledgebase. This lesson consists of the following 9-1-1 call:
Call 1 – A caller reporting his brother shot his parents.
1. Importance of addressing caller safety.
2. Necessity of calming techniques and assurances.
3. Determining the locations of all involved parties.
4. Listening for red flags.
5. Following standard questioning format.
Medical Objectives & Additional Articles
1. How to Handle a Gunshot Wound
2. What is Schizophrenia?
3. 21 Common Reactions to Trauma
Learning Point: How Quickly House Fires Burn.
Dispatcher Mental Health: The Power of Attention