Dispatch Pro Lesson Summaries
2023 Lesson 12: Baby in Dumpster; Man on ATV Attacks Woman and Runs Over Her
This one-hour online training will walk the taker through each of the major components of call taking while breaking down and analyzing a real 9-1-1 call. The lesson will challenge the taker to think critically while providing tips and techniques to enhance their skillset. In addition, it will provide the background and resolution of the incident as well as links to additional resources to expand the taker’s knowledgebase. This lesson consists of the following 9-1-1 calls:
Call 1: A caller reporting that he found a baby in a dumpster.
1. Gaining and maintaining control of the interview.
2. Proper use of repetitive persistence.
3. Proving assurances early and often.
4. Obtaining the caller’s exact location
5. Identifying all individuals involved.
Learning Point: Safe Haven Boxes
Call 2: A man reporting he was ready to kill his wife.
1. Determining the extent of injuries.
2. Obtaining mental health information.
3. Providing instructions for officer arrival.
4. Gathering information on weapon involvement.
5. Separating individuals involved in violent events.
Learning Point: Managing Telephone Electronic Feedback
1. Why Do Parents Abandon Their Children?
2. What Causes Low Body Temperature in Babies?
3. The Long-Term Effects of Abandonment.
4. What to Know About Alcohol and Mental Health.
5. Facial Trauma.
6. Tips for Using a Phone with Hearing Aids.