Dispatch Pro Lesson Summaries
2023 Lesson 9: Mother Reports Child Hit in Drive-By Shooting
This one-hour online training will walk the taker through each of the major components of call taking while breaking down and analyzing a real 9-1-1 call. The lesson will challenge the taker to think critically while providing tips and techniques to enhance their skillset. In addition, it will provide the background and resolution of the incident as well as links to additional resources to expand the taker’s knowledgebase. This lesson consists of the following 9-1-1 calls:
Call 1 – A caller reporting that someone shote into her home and her two-year-old son has been hit.
1. Ensuring safety information is gathered.
2. Following the standard questioning guideline.
3. Conducting an interview with compassion and empathy.
4. Listening to background conversations.
5. Maintaining control of the interview.
Learning Point: Dispatcher Wellness
Medical Objectives & Additional Articles
1. The difference in treating child victims of gun violence versus adults.
2. How to handle a gunshot wound.
3. What a bullet does to a human body.
4. Guns in the home: How to keep kids safe.